For victims of accidents and illness, or post-operative patients, it is often easy to determine when a caregiver service needs to be called. In many cases, these victims may only need care for a few weeks of assistance until the injury heals or the illness passes. But how do you tell when it is time for a caregiver for someone who is aging?
There are certain signs to watch for in the elderly to determine if they need a little extra in-home help.
- Weight loss
- Poor personal grooming/hygiene
- Dirty or soiled clothing
- Poor mobility
- Medication management issues
- Loss of strength, stamina, muscle coordination and balance
- Depression, mental confusion, loss of spontaneity
- Poor judgment
- Trouble handling money/paying bills/displaying large amounts of cash in public
- Routine chores take a long time
- Reclusive – shy away from friends and family
- Shyness – don’t want to meet new people or even with old friends
- Neglecting the pet, pet food, pet meds or cleaning up after pet
- Leaving doors unlocked/ignoring personal safety
It is so important for family and friends to check up on seniors and keep a close eye on their health and well-being and to watch for little changes that indicate they might need some help. With a little extra help — like the in-home caregiver services offered by Angels for Life — many seniors can stay in their home for years or even forever. They retain their independence, their comfort and often enjoy (and even relish) the relationships they establish with caregivers. Angels for Life caregivers are intent on helping their clients maintain their sense of dignity, pride, fun and enjoyment in life.
Angels for Life provides non-medical, in-home care which includes meal preparation, light housekeeping, personal care, transportation, companionship, pet care, grocery shopping and much more. Contact us today for a free review of your in-home care needs.